With the weather set to remain good for the foreseeable future what changes can you make to your eating and exercise habits to increase your energy and leave you feeling great?
If you’re still not sure here are a few tips to help you get started.
• Get out in the fresh air and do some form of exercise at least 3 times a week – you will find this will increase your energy and improve your quality of sleep.
• With berries and salads now in season aim to include more of these in your diet – berries are high in antioxidants and can be added to smoothies, or eaten as a snack.
• Drink plenty of water -sip through the day rather than drink in one go.
• Cut down on tea and coffee – choose the times you really enjoy your favourite cup and drink more water instead.
• Add brown rice or couscous to salads for extra fibre and this helps to reduce your intake of bread.
• Eat oatcakes, Ryvita, spelt bread and wholegrain bread all of which contain fibre, B vitamins and zinc vital for your immune system and your metabolism.
• For a nice salad dressing instead of mayonnaise see my recipe below.
• Don’t skip breakfast. When you wake up in the morning, your body is running on empty. Eating a breakfast with protein, carbohydrates and essential fats kicks your metabolism into high gear and provides energy for the day.
Snack at work. Bring snacks to work and graze throughout the day. When you eat more often – five to six times during the day you are less likely to overeat and more likely to stay energised. Eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.
• Make sure you get enough sleep. Remember sleep is when our body repairs itself so make sure you get 8 hours per night.
• Don’t drink tea/coffee before bed as this may affect sleep.
Juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
Choose from 4 dried herbs: ½ tsp parsley/chives/tarragon/mint
1 heaped tsp mustard (optional)
Other flavourings may include: ½ tsp paprika/ 1 tsp tomato puree/ 1 tsp tamari soy sauce/ 1 clove garlic, pressed
Place the orange and lemon juice in a screw-topped jar and add an equal amount of olive oil. Add the remaining ingredients and shake well, store in the fridge, ready for use.